Well, I am happy to announce that for the first time in a loooong time I feel like a writer! I think it is safe to say that my slump is over. With participation in NaPiBoWriWee this week I have broken through and have written a manuscript a day! I wrote my 12x12in'12 April draft on Monday (which was the last day of the month, by the way). On Tuesday, NaPiBoWriWee started and I wrote Manuscript #1, followed by Manuscripts #2 and 3 on Wednesday and Thursday consequetively. What a rush to set a goal and accomplish it!
Now I know that I have yet to complete Manuscripts 4-7, but I have today through Monday to do that. What I want to focus on today, is what I have learned from NaPiBoWriWee so far.
5 Things I Learned from NaPiBoWriWee (so far!)
1) Brainstorming is key! Although my job does not always lend itself to writing manuscripts during the day, I have made sure to spend the entire day brainstorming on the story I want to write on that day. Therefore, when I finally do have time to type it all up, it doesn't take as long. In fact, two times this week I didn't open my laptop til 10pm, but was finished writing up my 550+ word drafts within an hour.
2) My good ideas have not dried up. I know its kinda silly to say, but sometimes I think that I will never have another good idea for a story. And yet, each day this week I have started to write one! And most of the ideas did not come to me til the night before.
3) A draft is a draft. As hard as it is to stop line editing every two seconds, it is important to just "pound out" the draft. Don't worry about too much description or being too wordy. Focus on the plot: beginning, middle and end. Also, focus on developing fun characters that the readers will care about. Once you have all of this you can deal with revisions later.
4) I love to write. There are plenty of times when I wonder if I even want to be a writer anymore. Sometimes it just seems daunting and tedious. But, you know what? I do! I love writing! Just getting back to that basic is so priceless.
5) Accomplishing a goal is an energizing feeling! I have been feeling so blah lately. But not anymore! Thank you, NaPiBoWriWee!