Tuesday, February 18, 2014
Join the 2ND ANNUAL FOOD FIGHT in honor of World Read Aloud Day '14
I am excited to say that here at the Write Routine we are going to mark "World Read Aloud" Day through a week-long celebration of community and language. That's right.
It's time for the 2nd ANNUAL FOOD FIGHT!!!!!!
What says "read aloud" more than onomatopoeia? Maybe its because I grew up with Adam West's Batman on tv and would live for the fight scenes when onomatopoeia would cover the screen. POW! ZING! WHAP! But I do have an absolute love for onomatopoeia. What a tool in children's books. So much fun to read aloud and play with.
I therefore declare the week of March 3rd, 2014, Onomatopoeia Appreciation Week. Which brings me to our contest. The 2nd ANNUAL FOOD FIGHT.
Last year we had 12 amazing entries. This year, why not try your own hand at a fling or two?
Here's how it is going to work:
1) Today. Make sure you are a Follower of this blog. And grab the uber nifty Participant Badge. By the way, this badge was designed by Julie Rowan-Zoch. Make sure to tell her how awesome you think it is. So, grab the badge. Display it proudly on your social media and blogs. Spread the word. Link back to this post. Let's get the word out. Because the more people slinging peas and flinging Jell-o the better. Trust me.
2) On March 3rd, if you have a blog ~ Create a post in which you start a story. This story should have a clear setting and at least one clear character. Set the scene. Be creative. It can be anywhere. But remember, I am a kidlit writer...so let's keep it clean (until we start throwing food, of course). Write the story up to the moment when a food fight breaks out. And then stop. Publish your post, stop at the Write Routine to link up your story...and then sit back. If you don't have a blog, relax...your participation will be needed to. See step #3.
3) March 3rd til March 7th (midnight EST) ~ Comment on as many of the Food Fight stories as possible. Your comment needs to grow the story.
Read the posted story and all of the comments that precede you. Then, post your comment. Be sure to build on and further the existing story. Your comment should flow. The story should read as if it was written by one person when read from beginning to end.
ALSO, your comment needs to include at least one word of onomatopoeia and one thrown item of food. Your onomatopoeia must be a word that has not been used already in that story, as well. That's right. Be creative.
We are creating community here. Anyone can participate. Comment on as many stories throughout the week as possible.
You can comment more than once on a story, however, you cannot fight with yourself...meaning, you cannot follow one of your own comments...someone else needs to comment before you can comment again. Have fun.
4) Over the weekend (March 8th and 9th) blog owners need to wrap up their story with one last comment. Make sure the ending is satisfying. It should feel like the story is defnitely concluded. Flex those creative writing chops.
5) There will be 2 prizes. One prize will go to the "Most Food Flung", meaning the person who commented/participated the most. Another prize will be given to the owner of the blog with "Best Story Overall" to be decided on by our judges. Stay tuned for a special announcement about some great prizes. You MUST be a Follower of this Blog to be eligible for prizes.
What do you think? Ready to flex those onomatopoeic muscles and build some community at the same time? Grab that badge, display it proudly and spread the word. Oh, and watch out for the mashed potatoes....SPLAT!