Person You Just Met: So...you are a writer?
Person You Just Met: What do you write?
You: Children's Picture Books, mostly.
Person You Just Met: Wow! That's wonderful! Would I have heard of anything you have written?
You: Not unless you broke into my computer! (insert awkward laugh).
(Cue crickets to serenade the awkwardness)
You: No actually, I am pre-published.
Person You Just Met: Oh....
Have a few of these conversations and its no wonder that many of us often have trouble referring to ourselves as writers. At least I know I do.
But the truth is, I am a writer! And this week I embarked on a mission to feel like a writer everyday. Now, this is different from "writing daily"..although I try to do that, too. But I am talking about feeling like a writer everyday.
What does that entail?
First, I realize that it entails treating yourself as a writer. For me, that means the following:
- taking time to research (ie. reading published works, reading others' blogs about the craft, reading trade publications)
- carrying a notebook around at all times and jotting down any ideas that come to me on the train or in the grocery store, etc.
- and obviously, writing daily...or as much as possible. Meaning, always finding a project to be working on...whether that is a homework assignment, a contest entry, or simply an idea you had for the next story.
- Enroll in a class
- Enter a contest
- Submit your work
- Attend a critique group
- Go to a seminar/conference
- Celebrate your accomplishments with your friends and family
What have you done so far this week to be treated by yourself or others as a writer? What will you do before the end of the week?
Happy Writing everyone!