Monday, June 3, 2013

Embracing the Dream

"Not long ago and not far away, a Nobody named Ordinary lived in the Land of Familiar. 

Every day was pretty much the same for Ordinary.  In the mornings he got up and went to his Usual Job.  After work, he ate almost the same dinner he'd eaten the evening before.  Then he sat in his recliner and watched the box that mesmerized most Nobodies on most nights.

Sometimes, Best Friend came over to join Ordinary in front of the box.  Sometimes, Ordinary went to his Parents' and they watched together.

For the most part, not much happened in Familiar that hadn't happened before.  Ordinary thought he was content.  He found the routines reliable.  He blended in with the crowd.  And mostly, he wanted only what he had.

Until one day Ordinary noticed a small, nagging feeling that something big was missing from his life.  Or maybe the feeling was that he was missing from something big.  He wasn't sure.

The feeling grew.  And even though Nobodies in Familiar didn't generally expect the unexpected, Ordinary began to wish for it."
opening of "The Dream Giver" by Bruce Wilkinson
 
Throughout my crazy journey in pursuing a career in writing, I have found myself reading this modern-day parable several times.  It tells the story of Ordinary, who dares to leave the Land of Familiar to pursue his Big Dream.
 
Sometimes there are days when I wonder why I left my established Theater Education career to be a nanny and pursue writing.  There are some days I even wonder if I should turn back.
 
And although I cannot go into too much detail right now, I can say that today I know I am on the right path.  I am following my Dream.  A Dream that I believe is part of the very fabric of my soul.  Something that I was actually created to do.
 
It feels good.
 
More to come...



4 comments:

  1. Love the optimism in this post. I have some ideas about what might be happening. Looking forward to catching up this weekend at NJSCBWI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love days when writing feels right. Yay, you! Can't wait to hear some details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never read that parable before. Thanks for sharing. I, too, have pondered if I should return to teaching. But I do love writing, too! Have u considered combining your 2 passions and also write for theater? such as plays?

    ReplyDelete