Friday, January 6, 2012

Bear+Hat+Crime=Murder and Inspiration!

"I Want My Hat Back" by Jon Klassen has spent the last 4 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller list, so obviously, as a Picture Book writer I was looking forward to reading it.  Afterall, I am always curious to see what makes a best-selling picture book...and what kind of story skyrockets a first-time author to the top!  What I found was a delightfully simple story with equally simple, yet engaging, illustrations...and some unexpected inspiration!

In this simple story a bear is on the quest to find his lost red and pointy hat.  After questioning several other animals he finds the perp and takes the law into his own hands.  Brilliant...and I have to say, a breath of fresh air.  Why?  Because I learned to no longer edit those crazy stories in my head that others might say would be "controversial". 

Let me explain....

Sometimes as Picture Book writers I think we tend to "play it safe."  We don't want to write about anything too scary or controversial....so instead we edit our stories to avoid such criticism.  Let me give a few examples to better illustrate my point.

1)  I was once a part of a conversation among writers regarding a portion of a story I had written that included what could be described as Bullying.  It was told to me that in this day and age bullying is a very serious issue and it is important that parents and other adults intervene.  So...it was not considered a good move for me to write a story in which the protagonist was bullied and decided to deal with the issue on his own, without adult help.  Worst yet, my story took a comical look at bullying which I was told would be very frowned upon.  But how do you explain Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter series?  Does his behavior and the way that Harry, Ron and Hermoine deal with it on their own somehow condone bullying?  This is an issue I have really struggled with...

2)  A colleague of mine once wrote a Picture Book in which the protagonist ran away from home and into the woods because she was not happy with her step-mom.  In the woods she meets an enchanted frog and the story escalates from there.  It was brought up that her book seemed to make running away enticing and therefore would not be a good sell.  But how many fairy tales involve children wandering off on their own?  This is a real conundrum.

3) Lastly, and perhaps worst of all is when someone says they think a word or phrase is not "kid language" and needs to be changed!  Really?  So if I use a big word my book will no longer appeal to children?  Hmmmm....

Anyway, my point here being that storytelling...GOOD storytelling...will prevail no matter what!  Jon Klassen's book is delightful despite including thievery and eventual murder.  Its fun, believe it or not!  But upon reading it, I couldn't help but wonder what kind of feedback he got from other writers when he would share his manuscript!  Is it too dark?  Should it be more benign?  Should the bear become friends with the rabbit at the end and share the hat?  All I can say is that I am happy the story is what it is. 

Congrats, Jon Klassen for showing me that the sky's the limit!  Despite naysayers, the spirit of the Grim Brothers lives on!

Tell your tale!  Believe in your writing....someone has to, right? 

22 comments:

  1. Great points! It is always a fight for what you think will or won't sell and what realy will. I've decided that in the writing world it really can make a difference to be in the right place at the right time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Klassen's book and I love your post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read the book yet, but now you have inspired me to hit my local bookstore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your points in your blog. I must confess I am not extremely familiar with Jon Klassen or this book. I wonder...if he is an established author...if that played some part in his ability to step outside of the "cookie cutter" story line and in that manner create a stronger story? I'm glad I stopped by...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually Donna, he is an established Illustrator...although this is his first time authoring a book. But I refuse to let that stop me. Write the book YOU want to write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everyone seems to have strong reactions, either yea or nay, to this tale.

    I thought to myself, "Huh. The rabbit is dead. What happens in the sequel? The bear eats another animal until the forest is deserted? The ghost of the rabbit haunts the bear?" Seemed very finite.

    Brilliant illustrations though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never thought of it in terms of sequel potential, Cathy. However, maybe in the sequel the animals don't steal anymore due to consequences. Maybe crime is curtailed in the forest. Then it is a commentary on the modern justice system. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU, MARCIE!

    Sheesh, I have been battling back and forth about topics such as these. This whole world has become so afraid of "what MIGHT happen" should the wrong words be said, and the right endings not be met. I can't help but think about all the original nursery rhymes... Hansel and Gretel? The witch prepares to EAT them! They're lead to the woods by their father and stepmother because mommy dearest doesn't like them/they can't afford to feed them so she wants to kill them, but daddy can't do it. Would we dare write something like that now? Probably not. I'm not saying we make horror stories out of PBs, but sheltering them from some adulthood mannerisms and truth?

    I commend you. I will be tweeting this blog post...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Bethany! It is always an honor to be tweeted! Yippppppeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree. A friend of mine wrote a hilarious pb story about lemmings...who at one point try to jump off a cliff. Obviously. It was well received, BUT deemed "perhaps upsetting" and could "they maybe do something else?" Seriously? ergh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you read "It's a Book" by Lane Smith? I just picked it up on sale at a local book store. Maybe I'm out of it, since I focus more on older readers--but it feels like this could be one that everyone in the pb world loves, because it is pretty much the funniest thing I have ever seen. I am thinking about buying my mother a copy. It has what some might consider non-pb-language, I guess, sort of...but it's awesome enough that I will read it to my kids someday. If you tell your own story, and it sounds like yours and no one else's...there will be parents who read it to their kids, no matter what others might object to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so easy to listen to the editor in our head and the "conventional" wisdom of others... and stop ourselves from writing something great/new/interesting. Not that all our attempts will work, of course - you can treat bullying badly, for example - but you're so right that sometimes we gotta let ourselves try it and see, particularly if our instincts tell us to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We're creatives gifted with the ability to think outside the box. Let no one stiffle us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So true, Marcie! It's too easy to stifle our creativity to avoid controversy (or for marketing). But if our intentions are good and if we are diligent in our efforts, our words will inspire others. It's okay to push the context and to challenge our readers, even when they are children. We absolutely must believe in our writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! It's important to be able to listen to advice without losing trust in our own creative process. This book is on my wish list for the next picture book binge.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your advice. It's not hard for us creative types to get sensitive every now and then. I watched the trailer for this book and was in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic post! I love your examples of stories "not to tell" alongside of this lovely picture book. I teach children's literature and have many conversations with my students about what adults perceive as "kid friendly, safe, etc." vs. what actual kids can and enjoy reading. It's great to hear an author's perspective on the topic - thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. With novels I've found it best to actually use the controversial thing as a marketing hook. Put it front and center. That way no one is surprised when they find that element... and it gives you something important to talk about.
    As for non-kid words? WHATEVER. You can find a gazillion examples of big words in picture books. It's really not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's one of the most brilliant picture books ever. Love love love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Sometimes as Picture Book writers I think we tend to "play it safe." We don't want to write about anything too scary or controversial....so instead we edit our stories to avoid such criticism."

    Ah ha! This explains why so many picture books are just tepid. :-) Hooray for championing edginess.

    ReplyDelete
  21. And, of course, how well you use big words, tackle edgy issues or approach unsavory topics matters too. In the hands of a really inspired, talented writer, all of the above may work. Someone else may try something similar and fail. To me, the question is, "Does the story need the big word, the edgy issue or the unsavory topic? Is it essential to its heart?" If it is, then leave it in despite your critics. If it's not, take it out and try again.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We really liked this book because it was edgy but not graphic, so very little kids don't have to know about the rabbit. Once they are old enough to get the joke, the smug fun of being part of the in-crowd helps carry them through any qualms.

    ReplyDelete