Monday, January 9, 2012
Waiting for the Lightning to Strike!
So what do I do when I am waiting for the lightning?
1) Stay calm and relaxed about it. Chances are there are no family pictures with fading relatives that will eventually be erased from existence if I do not complete the manuscript urgently. Therefore, it is best to breathe deeply and tell myself that it will come...just not right now. I try not to fixate. Just go about daily life.
2) Keep that pan on the back burner simmering and sauteeing. The key is to not forget about the brilliant idea but to keep checking on it and perhaps even getting my spatula in there and move things around a bit. Maybe at this point I will realize it needs more salt or oil. I just keep an eye on it, checking in on the idea daily (or more often).
3) Build craft and gather more inspiration. I know when I am waiting for the lightning I sometimes start to freak thinking, "what if I don't have anymore good ideas? what if the manuscripts I have already written are the only ones I will ever have?" Its best to kill these thoughts. One way is to continue to treat myself as a writer. Hang with other writers or a Critique Group. Read online blogs. Enroll in a webinar or class or workshop. The key is to continue to build craft in the waiting....afterall, who knows what will spark that lightning. Its best to keep creating the atmospheric conditions.
4) Read past work. At these times I like to read past work for mine. Isn't wonderful when you become your own inspiration? Continue to foster belief in yourself.
5) Research. Ok. So this seems more relevant for certain manuscripts over others. I mean, my current manuscripts is about monsters in the closet. I could embark on a journey through closets and interview the monsters living there....OR I could just hang with kids and possibly ask them about monsters living in their closets and how they would deal with it. Or post a poll on some social networking. Keep those ideas coming.
6) Chill the champagne and buy the chocolate. Bottomline is to believe that it will come. It has come before. It will come again...and the exuberance will be overwhelming! And when it does come...don't forget to celebrate! That is important. So...in the meantime, get that post-manuscript reward ready!
So here I am with my lightning rod up high, drinking coffee, heading to the playground, getting ready for a workshop and webinar this week, reading various blogs...Happy Monday, Happy Writing everyone! Breathe...and triumph will come!