Monday, September 3, 2012

GUTGAA: Meet n Greet

Time to kick off the second year of The Write Routine, and I am going to do it in a BIG way!  I am participating in a challenge on Deana Barnhart's site.  Its called "Gearing Up to get an Agent" and will be running for 6 weeks.  This challenge gives participants the chance to polish their pitches and possibly be noticed by agents!  Count me in!
To begin, we have been asked to provide a Meet and Greet on our blogs.  So, today I bring you a little look into Marcie Colleen.  :)  Read and enjoy!  And head over to Deana's site if you want in on this fabulous opportunity!

Questions for the Meet and Greet
Bio  Marcie Colleen is an aspiring Picture Book writer.  In former chapters of her life she was a high school teacher, an actress, a director, a freelance teacher/director, went skydiving, worked for the legendary Tony Randall, partied with Paul McCartney and Bon Jovi, and worked on various Broadway and Off Broadway shows.  She loves documentary movies (geek!), baseball, cooking and coffee. She longs to dabble more in photography, play a little guitar/ukulele and write songs.   
This November Marcie will be running her first marathon, the ING NYC Marathon on November 4th.   She lives in Brooklyn, NYC with her boyfriend, Jonathan and her sock monkey, Bloois.

www.deanabarnhart.blogspot.com
Where do you write?  I wish I could say that I ALWAYS write in a cute little writer's nook in my house.  But the truth is that I need to write when I can and where I can.  Therefore, I own a little laptop that I carry with me to work and other places that inspiration might hit me.  Currently I am sitting in my local coffee shop so that I can utilize their free wi-fi and delicious Pumpkin Bread.

I often write at work.  I am a nanny so I have a built in "nap time" in my day which can sometimes last up to 3-4 hours.  Then I can be found either sitting legs-crossed on the couch writing or sitting at the dining toom table.

I also have a little desk area in my apartment, however, I do not use it as much for writing as I would like.  I often write during the weekdays...so my weekends are for time spent with friends and my boyfriend.

I also sometimes write at my boyfriend's art studio while he works.  That's always nice.  And of course, like any writer, I am constantly writing something in my head!

Quick. Go to your writing space, sit down and look to your left. What is the first thing you see?  Well, as I sit here in the coffee shop I see a man in plaid shorts and flip flops who is also working.  Its a busy Sunday here.  I love the energy of a bunch of others working in a laid-back neighborhood environment.

Favorite time to write?  Nap time, which is usually between 12-3pm Mondays through Fridays.  If I can accomplish a lot of writing during those hours I feel I can truly enjoy my time in the evenings doing something else.

Drink of choice while writing?  Sitting at this coffee shop I had to purchase something to wash down the Pumpkin Bread (did I mention it was delicious?).  I am, therefore, drinking a hot chamomile tea.  However, usually I stick to ice water.  I am currently training for the NYC Marathon this November, so constant hydration is key.

When writing , do you listen to music or do you need complete silence?  In normal circumstances I don't listen to music.  But some girls were at the table next to me talking about last night's drama and I needed to tune it out.  So I am listening to my iPod.  I have my friend Karen Ramos' album on..."Moonlight and Theremin".  She's amazing!  Check her out!  www.karenramosmusic.com 

However, when I start working creatively on some revisions of a manuscript in a bit I am going to have to turn Karen off and perhaps find somewhere quieter to write if these girls have more drama to hash out.

What was your inspiration for your latest manuscript and where did you find it?  The latest manuscript, NIGHT OF THE LIVING ZOM-PEAS, that I wrote was inspired by my latest obsession with roasted brussels sprouts.  I was slicing them one night and realized that I could eat them all day long every day.  And then I got to thinking about how too much of a good thing can be bad.  So, in my story, Edgar loves vegetables and everyone around the world sends their unwanted veggies to him.  Suddenly he is drowning in the very thing he loves and something has to be done about it. 

What's your most valuable writing tip?  Share your writing.  Become part of a community.  Whether it is in a classroom setting, a critique group or an online community.  It is very important to share what you have written and learn to take criticism.  Even when it is scary...share.  What you learn will be invaluable.  If anything, it builds pride in yourself as a writer and helps you own that title.

58 comments:

  1. Nice to meet you! Also, I think it's hilarious that you talked about loving brussels sprouts, while VikLit (http://viklit.blogspot.com/) talked about hating them. :) You should totally go debate her on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible what a plate of brussells sprouts can inspire. Your story sounds hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Genevieve. Its still a little rough, but hearing the reactions to my premise make me more determined to flesh it out. :)

      Delete
  3. Becoming part of a community is so key. I agree 100%.

    And a marathon!! Good for you. I've done about seven half marathons and I don't really have a desire to go farther. Mostly because of the training it would take. Currently I don't train for the one or two halves I do every year. I'd like to keep it that way ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the half marathon is my favorite race. I have done two and they don't require a lot of training. But you are right, this marathon thing is a little different. We shall see. :)

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm your 100th follower. :) And that pumpkin bread sounds delicious!

    AA
    http://anallegedauthor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello lovely to meet you. Camomile hey? It puts me to sleep :) I think marathon runners are absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the unexpectedness of your brussel sprout premise. So funny.

      Delete
    2. Why thank you! I am not a marathon runner, yet. You can call me amazing after November 4th! :)

      Delete
  6. You've had quite the life, Marcie! I'll look forward to hearing more about the challenge...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been quite a journey so far. Lots packed into my 38 years. :)

      Delete
  7. I think it's so cool that you are a runner. I have several family members who are runners but I just can't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a love/hate relationship with running. But once I set a goal I can't back down!

      Delete
  8. Dear Marcie,

    Nice to meet you! I enjoyed your answers to the GUTGAA questions. You've been very busy. Glad you're still able to write and do so many things. Happy writing!

    Warm regards,

    Don #138

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, too, Don! Thanks so much for stopping by! Good luck with GUTGAA!

      Delete
  9. The PB Academy and now this? You are as crazy as I am! I am intrigued by the challenge. i think it will be a great career move. If anything, it is good practice too. I'm giving myself until Weds. To decide. You are my inspiration, Colleen. Marathoners are crazy like that, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We inspire eachother! Life is crazy and I plan to fully participate! :)

      Delete
  10. Mmmmm...pumpkin bread. And a marathon? Wow, good for you! Can't bring myself to run much, but I'm always envious of those who do. Great to meet you!

    http://thinkingtoinking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, too! I tell you, I much prefer the pumpkin bread over running...but the more I run the more I can eat! :)

      Delete
  11. Pumpkin bread is the best! Except maybe for pumpkin pie. Or pumpkin spice shots in hot chocolate... Have fun at GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say I heart all things pumpkin! And I am eagerly awaiting autumn because of it! But I have never tried pumpkin shots in hot chocolate. Must try!

      Delete
  12. I love your story line! I would totally read something like that to my little ones. As long as he still loved his vegetables at the end, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your story idea sounds awesome. And the title is cute. Oh and now I'm craving pumpkin bread. Thanks. Anyhow, it was nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I could eat pumpkin bread every day...along with brussels sprouts. :)

      Delete
  14. You've lived a colorful life. I bet that offers a lot of inspiration for your stories. I'm always impressed by those able to complete a marathon. Good luck with that! And most of all, good luck with your writing adventures as we embark on GUTGAA. Nice to meet you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you, too, Stephanie! Gotta live life out loud! That is what I say!

      Delete
  15. So wonderful to get to know you better, Marcie! All the best with GUTGAA!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Marcie, I was wondering when we'd get to learn more about you! You're great! Congrats on the anniversary of your blog and on entering the Marathon :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to meet you, Marcie. You sound like you've had an adventurous life so far. I admire that you've done so many things. That's my goal for my life so it's nice to see someone accomplishing it. You were my first stop on the bloghop because I thought the name sounded interesting. Good luck with GUTGAA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Lauren! Just a tip, I write a list every birthday with things that I want to accomplish in the coming year. This year I have my "38 Things to do when 38". That way I make sure I am doing things that I have always wanted to do. Sometimes its big things like "run the NYC Marathon" and sometimes its little things like eat at a certain restaurant I have heard so much about. It keeps the year fun! :) You might want to try it.

      Delete
  18. Hi Marcie, your story sounds so adorable. Have fun with GUTGAA.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 12-3?!? How do you do that? I'm a naptime writer as well and yesterday I got 40 minutes! Oh well, we all make the best of what we get I guess. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me, I do NOT write the entire 3 hours. Sometimes I blog or read other blogs, revise, write, study, etc. Its not always writing time, but it is time for me to work on my pursuit.

      Delete
  20. Pumpkin bread rocks. Except now you made me hungry..and I don't have any. =( I'm quite jealous that you've partied with Bon Jovi..I probably shouldn't admit I still have a wee bit of a crush on him left over from my late teen years. And I wonder if Mr. Plaid shorts and Drama girls would be excited to know they are in a blog hop! hehehe ;-) Nice to "meet" you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee! They'll never know. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  21. I like the upbeat energy of your blog!! I am extremely curious though how you get those kids to nap for 3 hours!! Having two of my own little ankle biters (and they are called such because they really do bite) I can only dream of a naptime that lasts that long!! I love the idea of your story, it sounds so cute, is it a children's book? Nice to meet you and happy writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words, Jessica. As for the long nap, he's two and I am just lucky. We play hard when he is awake so perhaps that's it. :) And yes, my book is a picture book.

      Delete
  22. My best writing happens at nap time. Its that few hours of peace and quiet when you can kick back and really sink into it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! Its also the fact that it has an end time that motivates me to get to work!

      Delete
  23. Oooo… Good advice, Marcie! And Congrats on your blog anniversary! ~Aidyl

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi fellow SCBWI'er! Hopefully we'll run into each other sometime at a conference~ Nice to meet you through GUTGAA, Heather

    themysteryofwriting.wordpress.com
    midwesternfarmgirl.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi from another GUTGAA participant.

    I'm sorry. Brussel sprouts? *shudder*

    Now, cauliflower, I can get behind. Even brocaflower. But not brussel sprouts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You come over to my house. I make them for you. You would eat the very words you typed here. :)

      Delete
  26. Nap time is a perfect time to write! Except my eldest son recently gave up his naps so I'm screwed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! At least I am a nanny. If the kids I watch give up naps I can just quit and find another family. :) I cherish naptimes too much.

      Delete
  27. Hi. I no I'm super late responding, but I signed up for GUTGAA late, so that's why. I am seriously impressed by all the different stuff you've done!

    I used to think I wanted to be an actress until I got a lead role in our local theater. Fifteen times of performing the same play convinced me it wasn't for me. I don't have the attention span to do the same thing every night. haha. That's why writing is the perfect job for me, it's always something different.

    Anyway, I'm just hopping around to GUTGAA blogs to check them out. I got so inspired by all the great blogs on here that I finally started my own. I'd love it if you stopped by. It's www.onemagicbeanbuyer.blogspot.com I'm kind of in desperate need of followers. haha

    Good luck with GUTGAA! Hope to see you around. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely stop by your blog. :) And thanks for stopping by mine.

      Delete
  28. Hi Marcie, still working my way along the GUTGAA trail! I love pumpkin bread (and its huggy smell) and I agree with your writer's tip. I've already met some wonderful new friends through the blog hop. Come say hi if you get a chance!
    http://rhiannwynnnolet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi just hopping around for gutgaa meet awesome writers. Great advice:) Nice to meet you~!

    ReplyDelete