Sunday, September 16, 2012

International Dot Day: Make Your Mark, Life Lesson Learned

"The Dot" by Peter Reynolds is a simple little picture book that packs a HUGE lesson..."Make your mark, and see where it takes you."  In every aspect of life I cannot think of a greater lesson.

In the spirit of this amazing book, people all over are celebrating International Dot Day!  It was just too much for this kidlit blogger to resist.

However, the experience was more than I expected.

A little backstory...earlier in the day I had run with my team, training for the NYC Marathon which is only a short 7 weeks away.  We ran through the Palisades in New Jersey.  It was so scenic and breath-takeningly beautiful...although I am sure that it was the intense hills that were taking my breath more.  But, I felt strong, I felt good...until I got done and realized that I was running at a really really slow pace.  My bubble was burst!  I felt totally deflated.  I had only run 11.5 miles and I was hoping for more. 

So...I headed home feeling a little discouraged about the upcoming marathon and wondering just how dark it will be outside when I finally hit that finish line.  Ugh.

After a bite to eat and a hot shower, I dusted off some old art supplies to complete my dot for International Dot Day.   I decided on watercolor...not because it is the medium used in the book, but because it is my absolute favorite...AND I feel totally UNABLE to use it. What a perfect place to start. 

I sat with my aching legs raised and frozen Brussels sprouts on each sore shin, and I slowly dipped my brush into the water and then into the brilliant yellow watercolor. 

I began. 

I made a dot.  I let it dry.  I added more color.  And repeated.  And repeated.  Each time the dot became more and more beautiful than before.  My pride grew.  I was creating something one step at a time.  It was a slow process, but I was an artist.

Remember, I am a picture book WRITER who is always incredibly quick to let others know that I AM NOT artistic and I DO NOT illustrate! 

I am also a runner who does not call herself a runner. 

But step by step.  Dot by dot we create.  We make our own unique mark.

Lesson learned...

My dot does not look like anyone else's because it is mine.  My body does not look like anyone else's either...it is mine.  My marathon will also look like no one else's.  And I will cross that finish line in my own way.

 I will make my mark...however, slowly it may go.  Because great accomplishments take time and patience.

25 comments:

  1. "My dot does not look like anyone else's because it is mine. My body does not look like anyone else's either...it is mine. My marathon will also look like so one else's. And I will cross that finish line in my own way."

    This brought a happy smile to my face and happy tears to my eyes. Perfect message for Dot Day. Love your dot! I'll be cheering for you from half a continent away as you cross that marathon finish line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth. I have to say, writing this I feel quite moved too. Guess it was a message I needed. :)

      Delete
  2. I might be cheering you right there! We love you, your running and your DOT because it's you and unique. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanna! If you get to town soon, let me know! Would love to see you.

      Delete
  3. Congrats Marcie! So wonderful to hear about your beautiful revelations. Your dot is breathtaking. Thanks so much for sharing! Happy Dot Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great, Marcie, and something I needed to hear as well. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! We WILL make it to those finish lines, Amy. One dot at a time. :)

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous dot & wonderful message! Thanks for the inspiration on a day that's feeling like it's only half-finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. The day isn't half-finished. Its half-accomplished. And any accomplishment is worth being proud of.

      Delete
  6. Oy, YAY for you!!! I could never even run two miles, so 11.5 sounds INCREDIBLE to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic post and an excellent and wise conclusion. Of course you cannot be anyone but yourself and that's good - because no one else can be you! Love your dot, and good luck with the marathon. My husband will be running too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This brought a smile to my face. Thank you!

    And by the way, kudos on running 11.5 miles! That's a lot more than many people can manage to runat ANY pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I agree. Gotta focus on the positive. :)

      Delete
  9. Bravo! Great post with a wonderful message.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your individual self and dot. I, too, like you am not like anyone else and I wish I would remember that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love YOUR dot, Marcie! We all have something we have to take one dot at a time. Thanks for the reminder :~>

    You have a lot of heart and will do well with the marathon!! If we have your bib number, will we be able to follow your marathon progress and final time? Cheering you on all the way from Michigan!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing discovery, Marcie! And that is such a beautiful DOT. you should post that up. In your house as a reminder of your uniqueness and individuality. Every runner runs his or her own race!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Get that dot on your marathon T-shirt! Reading this Monday morning and feeling energized by your post to tackle my own challenges today - thanks Marcie!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Imagine dipping your running shoes in paint before you start the training run...each step leaves a mark along the way...you just made 11.5 MILES of foot dots!

    Best of luck. I could never run that far!
    Love your dot!

    ReplyDelete