Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Wednesday Writers Weigh In: What will YOU Do Today?

It is often said "Write Everyday."  However, those of us pursuing this crazy career will often admit that living up to that mantra is sometimes difficult. 

I urge you to make a plan.  Do not get overwhelmed.  I agree that the WIPs folder can seem daunting, that plot hole you have been working on for months seems hopeless, the deadline for that writing contest is looming.  But the best way to tackle all of these projects is one day at a time. 

Remember...the climb might be great, but there is beauty at every step.

Sit down today.  Put fingers to keys.  Or pen to paper.  Do SOMETHING.  Even if it is even for 10 minutes.

And then at the end of the day PROUDLY remind yourself, "I AM  A WRITER!"

For example, today I will:
  • Blog
  • Finish critiquing manuscripts for my Crit Group tonight.
  • Work on a curriculum guide I am writing
Writers Weigh In!  What will you do today for your writing career?

11 comments:

  1. This is such a great post, Marcie! Thanks!

    After getting one project to the stage I needed it for something that I turned in yesterday, today I'm turning my attention to my Middle Grade project, as I want to ensure it's the best I can make it before sending it off for a manuscript evaluation. So that's on my agenda for today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use to get overwhelmed so now I try to set small goals every day. Today I'm going to write at least 400 words which means I will have finally reached my goal of 25 000 words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Its the small goals that help you feel accomplished and keep you moving forward. Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Great post!!! This is something I struggle with. I have been doing much better since school started! I think going to school my whole life...since my profession was teaching...makes me have a built in need for that summer vacation even though I'm retired...weird! I sometimes think I will have a more concrete plan but I've always flown by the seat of my pants and I'm not sure concrete will work for me!!! But you have inspired me to try...thanks,Marcie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer vacation is the best! And there is nothing wrong with taking time off. It helps feed our creative self. I was actually on vacation last week...but now its back to the grind. :) Good luck, Penny!

      Delete
  4. I'm working on a short article for "Thriving Family" magazine, and finishing a PB I'm reading. I'm also getting ahead on my blog posts for the next week. Thanks for asking, Marcie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While at work, I'll keep revision ideas looming around in my head. Then when I put fingers to keyboard tonight, it will be clicky, clack, clicky, clack, oh yeah my muse is back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today my problem is I can't decide WHAT to do! Should I work on revising a picture book? Or should I try to get some notes down for that chapter book idea I have?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been out all day, but as soon as hit the couch (in about 5 minutes), I'll read a pile of picture books I brought home from the library. That'll be it for me today, but it's something. I SO agree with you. Just do SOMETHING. I'm on it! I love this post!

    ReplyDelete